Skeleton Pirate

Skeleton Pirate
Artist: LindaB

WELCOME TO STRONTIUM FOR BONES BLOG

Have you experienced negative, and even dangerous, side effects from Fosamax (alendronate), Boniva (ibandronate), Actonel (risedronate), Reclast (zoledronic acid), Prolia (denosumab), Forteo (teriparatide), Tymlos (abaloparatide), or other drugs prescribed for osteoporosis? If you have, then rest assured there is a safe, effective treatment for this condition. Strontium, primarily in the form of strontium citrate, is taken orally once a day.

Visitors to my blog can leave comments or ask questions and can remain anonymous, if they wish. Their comments are relayed to my g-mail inbox. Below each post, the number of comments for that post is cited and underlined because it is a link. By clicking on that link below any post, a window opens so that a visitor can leave a comment. Ideally, visitors leave comments on posts most relevant to their comments. All comments to my posts are moderated by me.

Browse the posts and visit the link library of references.






Blog Archive

Friday, January 11, 2019

Axial DXA 8 January 2019

The report of my axial DXA scan taken on 8 January 2019 appears below. I have been on 2 grams strontium citrate/day for 11 years. I also take a calcium/magnesium tablet (500 mg Ca/250 mg Mg), a multivitamin with 1000 IU vitamin D3, and several other supplements. I get plenty of protein in my diet. I exercise daily.

As you can see, my DXA results were excellent, except for my left femoral neck, which showed no change from the previous scan.

I am happy with my results, although I know the comparison of this year's results to those of 2.5 years ago contains some built-in error because two different brands of DXA machines were used. My 2016 scan was on a Hologic and the 2019 scan was on a GE Lunar Prodigy.

Changing testing sites, and, therefore, machines, was not my choice. I had been getting my scans in the outpatient radiology department of a large hospital medical center, but the provider is now pushing patients into its freestanding imaging centers. I was told my insurance would not pay for a DXA unless it was done at a freestanding center, but my insurance denied that assertion.

The risk factor for secondary osteoporosis mentioned, but not specified, in the report is early menopause.

INDICATION: Postmenopausal. Follow-up of osteopenia on prior DXA.
Patient reports risk factors for secondary osteoporosis.

COMPARISON: 8/4/2016

FINDINGS:

Spine: Total BMD of the spine (L1-4) is 1.108 g/cm2, with a T-score of
-0.7 and a Z-score of 1.0.

Left Femoral Neck: BMD is 0.883 g/cm2, with a T-score of -1.1 and a
Z-score of 0.6.

Left Total Hip: BMD is 0.928 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.6 and a Z-score
of 0.9.

Right Femoral Neck: BMD is 0.919 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.9 and a
Z-score of 0.9.

Right Total Hip: BMD is 0.963 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.4 and a Z-score
of 1.1.

Compared to the prior study, there has been 9% increase in spine density, 6% increase in left total hip density, but no change in left femoral neck density.

FRAX evaluation calculates 10-year probability of fracture:

Major Osteoporotic: 7.8%

Hip: 1.0%

IMPRESSION:

Based on BMD, diagnosis is consistent with osteopenia.

FOLLOWUP: In 2 years is recommended.



11 comments:

Jane B. said...

These are very encouraging results for those of us following your example. Thanks for the update!

BoneLady said...

Jane B.,

Thanks for reading my blog and commenting. Good luck on your next DXA results, which I would love to post.

Jane B. said...

Thanks so much, BoneLady. I haven’t gone for a repeat DXA since my initial one in 2011 because I don’t plan to change my strategy unless I start fracturing. Also, I know myself well enough to know I would obsess over minor differences in my numbers way beyond the accuracy of the BMD in predicting my future. I would be quite intrigued to know, though... If I go ahead I’ll share here!

Geri said...

Would appreciate clarification - the profile to the right says you take 680mg strontium citrate, but this says you'e been taking 2grams/daily. Can you elaborate?

BoneLady said...

Geri,

I take about 2 grams/day of strontium citrate, which contains 680 mg of strontium. I will change my profile to clarify the distinction between the salt,strontium citrate, and the element,strontium.

Anonymous said...

it is my understanding that Strontium elevates DXA scans because strontium when absorbed is heavier than calcium. In other words unless the scanner controls for this increases do not necessarily that the bone has gained true density only that the strontium is heavier than the calcium it replaced. Have those performing the scans controlled for your supplementation?

see this article I found online from a strontium doubter ... https://saveourbones.com/strontium-demistyfied/


Brian

BoneLady said...

Brian,

Yes, strontium will make DXA scan readings appear better than they actually are because strontium is heavier than calcium. However, while the patient is taking strontium, the CHANGE in readings from one scan to the next will give an accurate assessment of the change in BMD.

DXA scanners cannot control for strontium because they are calibrated for calcium in the bones. There are some mathematical formulas that may help in “adjusting” the readings, but I do not use them. As I explained earlier, I just look at the “percent change” from scan to scan. So far, the trend for me has been steadily upward.

Save Our Bones is a commercial website that sells supplements, exercise online videos, books, etc. I take everything I read from a commercial site with a grain of salt. The following disinformation is from that website.

“Here are the main reasons why strontium ranelate (and by extension, any form of strontium, such as strontium citrate, carbonate, or lactate) is not a good choice:”

“Strontium has a long list of undesirable side-effects, commonly ranging from nausea to skin irritation, and less often (fortunately), blood clots and fainting.”

“Since strontium is denser than calcium, it is difficult to assess actual bone improvement in a DXA scan.”

“Several studies conclude that strontium causes the outer cortical bone to become thicker, actually reducing tensile strength. This increases the risk of fractures.”

“Strontium competes with calcium absorption.”

Here is my point-by-point rebuttal:

Strontium ranelate does, indeed, have a long list of undesirable side effects (possibly due to the ranelic acid and artificial sweeteners), but strontium citrate does not. I have been taking it for eleven years with NO SIDE EFFECTS.

I have already explained that, even if each DXA reading is higher than it should be, the percent change from one reading to the next is real and accurate.

Please note the website’s article on strontium lists only two references, one from 1996 (23 years old!) and the other from 2008 (11 years old). Contrary to what Save Our Bones says, several studies have concluded that strontium improves cortical thickness, trabecular number, and connectivity, with no change in cortical porosity. Other studies have proven the anti-fracture efficacy of strontium.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00223-010-9420-x

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19436941

Yes, strontium does compete with calcium for absorption. That is why you need to take strontium and calcium at least two hours away from each other.

Cathy Moon said...


How many calcium tablets do you take per day? Do you take into account the calcium in your food?

BoneLady said...

Hi Cathy,

The second sentence of this post reads: "I also take a calcium/magnesium tablet (500 mg Ca/250 mg Mg), a multivitamin with 1000 IU vitamin D3, and several other supplements."

So, the answer to your first question is that I take one tablet that contains both calcium (500 mg) and magnesium (250 mg). My multivitamin has 162 mg Ca and 100 mg Mg. My total daily intake from supplements is 662 mg Ca and 350 mg Mg.

I definitely take into account the calcium in my food. That is why I take only one Ca/Mg tablet. I drink 12 ounces of fat-free milk at breakfast, usually eat fat-free, plain Greek yogurt for lunch, and often eat low-fat cheese for dinner.

Unknown said...

Hello. I have just found your site. Thank you for all the helpful information you share. I needed to take action when bone density fell quickly post-menopause into osteoporosis and no other secondary causes could be found. I have a similar supplement strategy (except no strontium, yes K2), added low dose estrogen, and increased weight bearing exercise. I am hesitant but interested in strontium. Said no to conventionals meds. After starting my program I had 6-7% dexa gains. Next dexa had only 2-3% gains (considered statistically insignificant but was on same machine; T score results= spine -2.4, hips -2.2 and -2.5). I was hoping for more gain and am trying to figure out what more I should do. Since you've been on the same program for years now, to what do you attribute that your bone density results continue to increase impressively and have not stabilized? Thanks

BoneLady said...

To: Unknown from March 13, 2021,

I attribute my impressive bone density results primarily to strontium citrate but also to all the other supplements I take and to my healthy lifestyle, which includes eating a balanced diet with sufficient protein, getting regular exercise, keeping a healthy body weight, getting plenty of rest, avoiding tobacco, and not drinking too much alcohol.

Wandering Skeleton

Wandering Skeleton
Artist: Joel Hoekstra

Osteoporotic Bone

Osteoporotic Bone
Source: www.mayoclinic.com

How Strontium Builds Bones

Strontium is a mineral that tends to accumulate in bone. Studies have shown that oral doses of strontium are a safe and effective way to prevent and reverse osteoporosis. Doses of 680 mg per day appear to be optimal. See my "For More Information About Strontium" links section.

Osteoporosis is caused by changes in bone production. In healthy young bones there is a constant cycle of new bone growth and bone removal. With age, more bone is removed and less new bone is produced. The bones become less dense and thus more fragile.

Scientists believe that strontium works in two ways. It may stimulate the replication of pre-osteoblasts, leading to an increase in osteoblasts (cells that build bone). Strontium also directly inhibits the activity of osteoclasts (cells that break down bone). The result is stronger bones.

When taking strontium, be sure to take 1200 mg calcium, 1000 IU vitamin D3, and 500 mg magnesium daily. It is best to take strontium late at night on an empty stomach. Calcium and strontium may compete with each other for absorption if taken together.