Skeleton Pirate

Skeleton Pirate
Artist: LindaB

WELCOME TO STRONTIUM FOR BONES BLOG

Have you experienced negative, and even dangerous, side effects from Fosamax (alendronate), Boniva (ibandronate), Actonel (risedronate), Reclast (zoledronic acid), Prolia (denosumab), Forteo (teriparatide), Tymlos (abaloparatide), or other drugs prescribed for osteoporosis? If you have, then rest assured there is a safe, effective treatment for this condition. Strontium, primarily in the form of strontium citrate, is taken orally once a day.

Visitors to my blog can leave comments or ask questions and can remain anonymous, if they wish. Their comments are relayed to my g-mail inbox. Below each post, the number of comments for that post is cited and underlined because it is a link. By clicking on that link below any post, a window opens so that a visitor can leave a comment. Ideally, visitors leave comments on posts most relevant to their comments. All comments to my posts are moderated by me.

Browse the posts and visit the link library of references.






Blog Archive

Sunday, August 21, 2022

DXA Scan of 18 August 2022 Showing Normal Density

Below is my recent axial DXA performed on a Horizon Prologic Wi DXA scanner and showing NORMAL BONE DENSITY! Even if my scores are lower by half due to strontium use, the changes are phenomenal. Fifteen years ago, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. My scans have gotten progressively better since I began taking strontium citrate 14 years ago. For my next DXA scan, I will ask that a Trebecular Bone Score (TBS) be included.Trabecular bone score (TBS) uses standard lumbar spine DXA imaging to assess bone texture inhomogeneity (that is, the number of filled versus unfilled voxels) in order to gauge bone quality and fracture risk. Strontium will not affect TBS as it does DXA. 



EXAM:  DXA AXIAL 8/18/2022

 INDICATION:  Postmenopausal.

 COMPARISON: 1/8/2018

 

FINDINGS:

 

Spine:  Total BMD of the spine L1-4 is 1.030 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.2 and a Z-score of 2.2.


Left Femoral Neck: BMD is 0.741 g/cm2, with a T-score of -1.0  and a Z-score of 1.1.

 

Left Total Hip: BMD is 0.856 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.7 and a Z-score of 1.0.

 

Right Femoral Neck: BMD is 0.752 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.9 and a Z-score of 1.2.


Right Total Hip: BMD is 0.907 g/cm2, with a T-score of -0.3 and a Z-score of 1.5.


Spine density increased 5.2%. Left hip density decreased 1%. Right hip density increased 0.9%. These percent change findings may be inaccurate as exam was performed with different technique.


FRAX evaluation calculates 10-year probability of fracture:

 Major Osteoporotic: 7.9%%

 Hip: 1.3%%


IMPRESSION:

 Based on BMD, diagnosis is consistent with normal density.

 Follow up with DEXA and TBS: As needed.


WHO CRITERIA FOR T-SCORES:

 < or = -2.5 = osteoporosis

 < -1.0 and -2.5 = osteopenia

 > or = -1.0 = normal density

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bone Lady what amount of strontium citrate were you taking before this dxa and are you continuing at that amount?

BoneLady said...

To: Unknown poster of 1/15/2023

I was taking 682 mg strontium before this DXA scan and am taking the same amount now. I usually take AOR Strontium Support II, 341 mg strontium (from citrate) per capsule (two capsules daily). On occasion, I have used Vitacost Strontium Citrate (340 mg strontium per capsule) (two capsules daily).

Anonymous said...

Wow - great results!

Cathywolf3 said...

Hi,
What do you mean by "scores are lower by half due to strontium use". Can you give your scores including this problem ?
Thank you

BoneLady said...

Cathywolf3,

My comment was, "Even if my scores are lower by half due to strontium use, the changes are phenomenal." That is a hypothetical statement. I did not say that my scores are lower by half because I do not know that. I do not know what my scores would be if I could correct them for strontium use over a period of 14 years, but I know they would be lower than they are now. I do know that my steadily increasing DXA scores over all those years means that the strontium has been incorporated into my bones. I believe my bones are much stronger today than 14 years ago. A TBS score would show the quality of my bones.

Cathywolf3 said...

Thank you for this answer, I tried strontium citrate capsules but it gave me a rash all over the body so I stopped and now I start again with liquid strontium as seen on your blog. But I leave in France and I can't get the one you mentionned so I take the one from Trace minerals but it is a very little bottle. My scores are very low (-4 at the spine some vertabrea at -4.2 and -3.7 at the hip); I don't know if strontium will be able to help me rapidely as I am 62.
I'm very afraid of spine fracture.
Many thanks for your blog

BoneLady said...

Cathywolf3,

I found the website for Liquid Ionic Strontium by Trace Minerals. One serving (1/4 teaspoon) has only 100 mg strontium (as strontium chloride). If may be easier to absorb the liquid form, but this product contains very little strontium. The amount taken for osteoporosis is usually 680 mg strontium (as strontium citrate or strontium ranelate).

Good luck to you,
BoneLady

Wandering Skeleton

Wandering Skeleton
Artist: Joel Hoekstra

Osteoporotic Bone

Osteoporotic Bone
Source: www.mayoclinic.com

How Strontium Builds Bones

Strontium is a mineral that tends to accumulate in bone. Studies have shown that oral doses of strontium are a safe and effective way to prevent and reverse osteoporosis. Doses of 680 mg per day appear to be optimal. See my "For More Information About Strontium" links section.

Osteoporosis is caused by changes in bone production. In healthy young bones there is a constant cycle of new bone growth and bone removal. With age, more bone is removed and less new bone is produced. The bones become less dense and thus more fragile.

Scientists believe that strontium works in two ways. It may stimulate the replication of pre-osteoblasts, leading to an increase in osteoblasts (cells that build bone). Strontium also directly inhibits the activity of osteoclasts (cells that break down bone). The result is stronger bones.

When taking strontium, be sure to take 1200 mg calcium, 1000 IU vitamin D3, and 500 mg magnesium daily. It is best to take strontium late at night on an empty stomach. Calcium and strontium may compete with each other for absorption if taken together.